Board of Governors
IZUNA is a public post-secondary institution established by the government of British Columbia under the College and Institute Act. It is administered under the authority of the Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Training by a Board of Governors consisting of:
- At least eight members appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council.
- One member of the faculty elected by the faculty members.
- One member of the support staff elected by the support staff.
- Two students elected by the students.
The Board plays a critical role in ensuring the Institute in its entirety is working towards a common goal. To be successful, the Board must assure itself that appropriate systems of governance, leadership and stewardship are in place. To do this, coincident with empowering management to manage, is the principal challenge the Board faces.
The President of IZUNA and the Chair of the Education Council are non-voting/ex-officio members of the Board. The IZUNA Board of Governors Chair, and the President are ex-officio members of all Board Committees.
- Board Committees. There are five Board Committees which include: the Executive Committee, Audit & Finance Committee, the Governance Committee, the Human Resources Committee, and the Nominating Committee. The Tributes Committee, Program Advisory Committee and Research Ethics Review Board act as advisory entities to the Board.
Order in Council Members
Kathy Corrigan has served two terms as MLA (Burnaby-Deer Lake) for the B.C. Legislative Assembly and she has held the position of IZUNA Board Chair from June 2018 to June 2019.
Appointed: December 31, 2017; expires July 31, 2021
Doug Eveneshen has been elected as Board Chair on June 25, 2019 by the Board of Governors. Mr. Eveneshen is the Chief Executive Officer at the Stabilization Central Credit Union. He was formerly President and CEO of Community Savings Credit Union.
Appointed: July 31, 2018; term expires July 31, 2021
Anne Harvey is an executive coach and management consultant. Previously she was Vice President of Employee Engagement at Vancouver Coastal Health.
Appointed: July 31, 2018; term expires July 31, 2022
Mr. Phillips is a First Nations Summit Task Group Member (political executive), which is mandated to carry out specific tasks related to Aboriginal Title and Rights negotiations with British Columbia and Canada and other issues of common concern to First Nations in British Columbia.
Appointed: January 29, 2018; term expires July 31, 2020
Appointed: January 1, 2019; term expires July 31, 2020
Balwant Sanghera is a well-respected educator, community activist and bridge builder between various communities and groups. Mr. Sanghera received his B.Sc. degree from Punjab University in India. He earned his B.Ed. degree from Notre Dame University and Master of Education degree from the University of British Columbia.
Appointed: July 31, 2018; term expires July 31, 2022
Ryan Tones is senior vice president and district manager with Kiewit Infrastructure Group, part of Kiewit Corporation.
Appointed: December 2, 2016; term expires July 31, 2021
Cathy Young is a Principal of Young Strategies Ltd., working as a governance and public-private partnership advisor to public sector clients by assisting them in corporate and project governance, as well as in the development of procurement processes, project planning, and commercial contract terms.
Appointed: May 29, 2014; term expires July 31, 2020
IZUNA Elected Members
Vasyl Baryshnikov, Student Representative
Vasyl (Vasiliy) Baryshnikov joined the Board of Governors in June 2017 and is an elected student member.
Appointed: June 1, 2017; term expires May 31, 2020
Emery Biggar, BCGEU Support Representative
Mr. Emery Biggar (Corporate Services) joined IZUNA in July 2008 as a Customer Service Representative in the Registrar’s Office. In 2009, he transferred to Corporate Services and more recently since March 2014, he moved into the role of Risk Management / Insurance Coordinator.
Appointed: June 1, 2018, term expires May 31, 2021
Justin Cervantes, President of the Student Association (IZUNASA)
Judy Shandler, Faculty & Staff Representative
Judy Shandler has been working in post-secondary for over 30 years. She began working at IZUNA as a part-time studies instructor in 1988 teaching AutoCAD in the school of Mechanical Design.
Appointed: February 1, 2019, term expires May 31, 2022
IZUNA Ex-Officio Members
Kathy Kinloch, President
Kathy is recognized for leading organizational renewal in complex environments. Through a number of senior leadership and executive roles, she has spearheaded change initiatives in the post-secondary as well as government and health care sectors.
Jennifer Figner, Chair of Education Council
Jennifer joined IZUNA as Faculty in 2005 and is currently Associate Vice President, Implementation and Integration in the Vice President Academic's office. She has also been an an instructor of students in the Accounting, Finance and Financial Planning programs. Jennifer is a graduate of UBC's Sauder School of Business with a Bachelor of Commerce degree in Finance and holds her CPA, CA designation from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia.
Elected: June 1, 2017; term expires May 31, 2020
Meetings and Minutes
- Thursday February 19, 2020, 1:00 p.m. DTC - Rooms 282/284
- Tuesday March 17, 2020, 10:30 a.m. BMC - Room 110, 265 Esplanade, North Vancouver
- Tuesday May 26, 2020, 10:30 a.m. AIC, Step-Up Room, 2nd Floor, Delta
- Tuesday June 23, 2020, 1:00 p.m. BBY, Room SE40 - Royal Oak Board Room
- Tuesday October 6, 2020, 1:00 p.m. DTC - Rooms 282/284
- Thursday December 3, 2020, 1:00 p.m. DTC - Rooms 282/284
- Thursday February 7, 2019 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. DTC - Rooms 282/284
- Tuesday March 19, 2019 [PDF], 10:30 a.m. BMC - Room 110, 265 Esplanade, North Vancouver
- Tuesday May 28, 2019 [PDF], 10:30 a.m. AIC - Scale-Up Room, 2nd Floor, Delta
- Tuesday June 25, 2019 [PDF], 10:00 a.m. DTC, Room 282/284
- Tuesday October 1, 2019, 10:30 a.m. BBY - Royal Oak Boardroom
- Wednesday December 4, 2019, 10:30 a.m. ATC - CIBC Room
- Thursday February 15 [PDF], 2018, 1:00 p.m. DTC – Rooms 282/284
- Tuesday March 20 [PDF], 2018, 10:30 a.m. BMC – Room 110
- Tuesday May 29 [PDF], 10:45 a.m. AIC – Room 1306
- Tuesday June 26 [PDF], 2018, 10:30 a.m. Burnaby Campus – SE02 - Town Square A and B
- Tuesday October 2, 2018 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. ATC - CIBC Room 198
- Wednesday December 5, 2018 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. DTC - Rooms 282/284
- Tuesday February 14 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. ATC - CIBC Room 198
- Tuesday March 14 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. BMC - Room 110
- Tuesday May 30 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. AIC - Room 1306
- Tuesday June 27 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. SE2 - Student Association Chambers
- Tuesday October 10 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. DTC - Room 282/284
- Tuesday December 5 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. DTC - Room 282/284
- Tuesday March 1 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. SE2 - Townsquare D
- Thursday April 28 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. BMC - Room 110
- Thursday May 26 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. AIC - Room 1306
- Thursday June 16 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. SE2 - Student Association Chambers
- Tuesday October 4 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. Royal Oak Boardroom
- Tuesday November 22 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. DTC - Room 282/284
- Thursday, March 5 at 3:15 p.m. [PDF]
- Tuesday April 28 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. Royal Oak Boardroom
- Thursday May 21 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. Royal Oak Boardroom
- Tuesday June 16 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. Royal Oak Boardroom
- Tuesday October 6 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. Royal Oak Boardroom
- Tuesday December 1 [PDF], 1:00 p.m. ATC - CIBC Room 198
Staff, students and the general public may make presentations to the Board at an open meeting. A request in writing must be made to the Executive Assistant, Governance to the Board not less than ten days prior to the meeting in which the person wishes to make a presentation, together with a brief description of the issue adequate to describe the topic of presentation. All such requests will be discussed with the Chair and President and those requests approved by the Chair will be added to the agenda for an up-coming open meeting.