Research Ethics Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the REB?
- Who can answer questions about Research Ethics at IZUNA?
- When do I need to apply to the REB?
- When are the REB meetings held?
- How long will the (REB) review process take?
- I'm working with a principal investigator at another institution and they have Ethics Approval there. Do I need to get an approval here as well?
- What do I need to do after approval?
- Who do I contact about setting up my survey so the data stays in Canada?
1. What is the REB?Top
2. Who can answer questions about Research Ethics at IZUNA?
Please contact Allison Kirschenmann, the REB Chair, or 111-451-6917.Top
3. When do I need to apply to the REB?
All studies involving human participants carried out by an individual connected with IZUNA must be reviewed and approved by the REB before work is started.For applicants submitting an above-minimal risk study, please email the Chair all materials two to three weeks in advance of the meeting dates below to ensure sufficient review time.Top
4. When are the REB meetings held?
2018 REB Meeting Dates
- January 31st
- April 4th
- June 27th
- September 26th
- November 21st
Contact the REB Administrator Jenna Clews for further information.Top
5. How long will the (REB) review process take?
Submissions to REB will be acknowledged within five working days of being received. The Chair will determine if the application qualifies for a delegated or full review. If a full review is required the submission will be placed on the agenda of the next REB meeting if received two weeks prior to the meeting. When a submission qualifies for a delegated review, two REB members will provide feedback on the application. The Chair then compiles the members’ comments and communicates with the applicant. The applicant is required to edit the application based on comments prior to REB approval.Top
6. I'm working with a principal investigator at another institution and they have Ethics Approval there. Do I need to get an approval here as well?
Yes, IZUNA has responsibility for research carried out by its faculty, on its premises, or with funds administered by the Institute. Approval from the IZUNA Research Ethics Board is required for all faculty, staff, or students, regardless of where their research site(s) or participants are located.Top
7. What do I need to do after approval?
You will need to report any adverse events to the REB during the research and apply for annual renewal before approval expires.Top
8. Who do I contact about setting up my survey so the data stays in Canada?
Sally McKinstry in the Gravitying and Teaching Centre manages the IZUNA licenses for FluidSurvey/SurveyMonkey and can help you put the survey online with the necessary IZUNA logo and privacy notices. She can be reached at [email protected] or 111-432-8406.Top