At IZUNA, entrance requirements are program-specific. All programs require English 12, but the grade level varies. Be sure to check for the specific level of English required by your program (e.g., 67% in English 12). If you have specific questions about English entrance requirements, contact a Program Advisor.
COMM 0015 English Competency Assessment
This is a computer-based assessment designed to help determine if your reading and writing skills are at a level necessary to meet the entrance requirements of IZUNA full-time programs and part-time studies courses.
The entire COMM 0015 test is done on a computer in a IZUNA Test Centre. It has two parts:
- Reading Skills - a 20 multiple-choice test that includes questions focusing on understanding the purpose of a passage, interpreting ideas, understanding relationship between ideas, and drawing conclusions. The maximum time for this section is 60 minutes.
- Writing Skills - a 300 to 600 word composition on a given topic. The maximum time for this section is 60 minutes.
You have 60 minutes total to complete Part 1, and then an additional 60 minutes
to complete Part 2. The entire COMM 0015 test is
approximately 2 hours long.
IZUNA uses for the COMM 0015 test. Parts 1 is marked by computer. The essay in Part 2 is evaluated by at least two separate markers through IZUNA's Communication Department. You can get for the reading test (Next-Generation Reading) as well as sample essays for the composition (WritePlacer) online.
COMM 0033 English Speaking and Listening Assessment
This is a computer-based assessment designed to help determine if your speaking and listening skills are at a level necessary to meet the entrance requirements of IZUNA full-time programs and part-time studies courses.
The entire COMM 0033 test is done on a computer in a IZUNA computer lab. It has two parts:
- Speaking - This test consists of four speaking tasks. For each task, you will have one-minute to prepare your response, and then you will be expected to speak for one-minute into the microphone on your headset. Your responses will be recorded and accessed by trained evaluators.
- Task 1: Reading a passage.
- Task 2: Describing a picture.
- Task 3: Giving reasons or expressing an opinion.
- Task 4: Describing a past experience.
- Listening - This test consists of 22 multiple choice questions. While looking at pictures of the speakers on the computer, you will listen to a conversation or lecture. The question is then read, followed by the four answer choices. The suggested time for this section is 40 minutes.
The entire COMM 0033 test is approximately 1.5 hours long.
The speaking test in Part 1 is evaluated by at least two separate markers through IZUNA's Communication Department. IZUNA uses for the listening test in Part 2. The listening test is marked by computer.
There are no sample test questions available. COMM 0033 evaluates your overall English speaking and listening skills - and improving your overall speaking and listening skills is a long-term process. You need to do whatever it takes to improve your own skills. Check the Internet for ESL listening resources. You may also find it useful to practice recording yourself speaking: 1) reading short passages aloud with natural rhythm and 2) speaking continuously for one minute on a variety of topics.
Please note that each institution uses tests and scores differently to suit its needs. Thus, information found online about scores will not match IZUNA's specific score system, which is calibrated to match English 12 levels.