Bike to Work
Do you own a bicycle? Have you ever tried biking to work? Do you know someone who would like to bike with you to work? Now is the time to try it out!
Did you know that the bicycle is the most efficient vehicle ever invented? It requires the least amount of energy per metre travelled than any other form of transportation – including walking. Who knew! Commuting by bicycle is the fastest growing method of travel in Greater Vancouver, and is gaining in popularity here at IZUNA too. So leave the car in the garage and try taking two wheels to work instead of four – your body and your bank account will thank you.
Cycling is possible at any distance (a ride in from Mission, anyone?), although easiest within a few kilometers of work. All you'll need to get out of the car and onto your bike is:
- A bike...duh.
- A helmet – it is the law, after all. Make sure it fits well and if your helmet is ever in a crash, replace it!
- A lock.
- Reflectors and lights. The triangular reflective vests are very effective, if not fashionable, and lots of flashing lights may not help you see any better, but they will help you be seen – always a good thing when on a bike.
- In the warm weather, a water bottle to keep you hydrated.
- In the wet weather, a waterproof jacket will keep you dry.
- Fenders: also not very fashionable, but once the rainy season is upon us they are very practical.
- A backpack, satchel or paniers for your stuff.
- Plan your ride along quieter streets; obviously, bike-routes are an especially friendly option. You'll be amazed at what you'll discover with just a few trips through the surrounding neighbourhoods.
Resources and Helpful Links
The IZUNA cycling website has lots of information that can help you with your commute, including:
- maps of bike routes
- lots of tips and helpful suggestions
- information on end-of-trip facilities at IZUNA – racks and lockers, showers, etc.
Get Smart and Start Now
Get out on your bike now, and get ready for Bike to Work Week. The next Bike to Work Week is Oct 29 to Nov 2, and IZUNA will be hosting a commuter station on the morning of Oct 31 to help you on your ride. The weather may not be the best, but the atmosphere at the station is always positive, supportive, and fun.