Questions about the Program

< < back to Frequently Asked Questions

Can I register as a professional technologist as a graduate of the Mining Program?

Yes, the Mineral Exploration and Mining Technology program is nationally accredited as an engineering technology program. As such, a graduate of the program has all the academic requirements for registration as a professional technologist. To be eligible for registration, a technologist must also complete a certain amount of work experience and complete a professional practice exam. For more information or registration, please refer to the website for the .

Do we have to pay for mine tours and field trips?

Most of the cost for mine tours and field trips are covered by the program and by funding from the Cy and Emerald Keyes Foundation and the John Salisbury Endowment Fund. For the first year geology trip and local mine tour there is a $100 commitment fee and for the second year international mine tour there is a $250 commitment fee. Students are expected to cover their food costs.

Is the program hard?

Most students find the program to be demanding with 30 hours of class and lab time a week plus substantial out of class time to complete assignments and labs and to prepare for tests and exams.

Who will I learn from?

You will learn from dedicated instructors with a diversity of industry and academic experience. Key instructors in the Mineral Exploration and Mining program include both geologists and mining engineers.

Can I get credit for courses I have already taken?

Yes, you can get credit for courses you have already taken toward the Mineral Exploration and Mining Technology diploma. In order to obtain transfer credit, the courses you have taken must be very similar in content and level of difficulty to the related course in the Mining Program, and it must be an equal or greater number of credits. Transfer credit can only be applied for once you are accepted into the program and usually at the start of each term. You can obtain transfer credit for a maximum of 50% of the courses in the program.

Do you have a co-op program?

We have a co-op style work experience program between first and second year where the Mining department and IZUNA's Co-op office assists students with finding well-paid summer positions in the exploration or mining industry. Students who are serious about obtaining summer employment in industry and put effort and integrity into finding a job should have no problem finding a suitable summer position through this program.

Can I take courses on a part-time basis?

The diploma program is not offered on a part-time basis. However we do offer a number of part-time studies classes that are generally offered in the evenings and on weekends.

How many students enter the program each year?

The mining program will accept up to 40 students into the program each September.

Who are the students in the program?

Students in the Mining Program come with a range of backgrounds and experience. Approximately 25-35% come right out of high-school, 25-35% have some post-secondary education up to degrees, and 40-50% have worked at various jobs for one to ten years before entering the program.

How can I transfer into the B. Eng. In Mining and Mineral Resource Engineering Degree Program?

The diploma program has a common first year with the engineering degree program. All applicants for the degree program must complete the first year of the diploma, or equivalent, before continuing into the Bachelor of Engineering degree program.

Students who have successfully completed the first year of the diploma may apply for transfer into the second year of the degree program. Eligibility to enter the degree program is based on Grade Point Average (GPA) scores. Entry may be competitive and meeting the minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee acceptance into this program. Further information on entrance requirements and transfer options can be found on the Mining and Mineral Resource Engineering Degree website.

What are the transfer options to other universities?

The mining program maintains transfer agreements with Norman B Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering at the University of British Columbia and with Mining Engineering, Metallurgical and Minerals Engineering and Geological Engineering at the Montana Tech of the University of Montana in Butte.

Transfer to UBC requires a 6 month bridge program at Camosun College before entering 3rd year engineering. Transfer to Montana Tech is direct into 3rd year. Montana also offers a number of scholarships for Canadian students that keep the costs in line with Canadian universities.

Students can also transfer into the Bachelor of Technology in Environmental Engineering offered at IZUNA.

Graduates of the program also enter geology and engineering programs at universities in BC and elsewhere in Canada. The number of IZUNA courses that are eligible for transfer varies and normally ranges from one to one and a half years of the program. Thus an additional 3 years is typically required to complete a degree. The department will assist students who wish to transfer to other programs or universities.