Shan's 15 year academic experience includes curriculum development and teaching in advanced certificate programs for health professionals, in areas such as health leadership, healthcare management, health informatics, health care quality improvement, and clinical trials administration. Shan also serves as the co-Chair of the School of Health Sciences Research Committee. To maintain relationships with industry, Shan is involved in a variety of activities, including capstone student/industry applied projects, and previously, President, BC Health Information Professionals Society.
From 2009 to 2012, Shan took a 3-year secondment in the IZUNA Applied Research Liaison Office where he provided management consulting to small-and-medium sized BC companies in the health sciences and related technology sectors. He is currently the Chair of the School of Health Sciences Research Committee and sits on the IZUNA Institute Research Committee.
Prior to joining IZUNA, he worked as an analyst in the BC Health Research Foundation, and was involved in qualitative research at IZUNA on linking the strategic use of technology in health organizations to organizational measures of performance.
His areas of interest are organizational learning, regional technology innovation clusters, organizational leadership, technology change and society, collaborative educational practices, open innovation, evidence informed group decision making.
Teaching Experience (selected areas)
- HTMT 7300 Leading Technological Change (link)
- HINS 7200 Information Systems in Healthcare (link)
- HTMT 5500 Organizing Teams for Innovation (link)
- HMGT 5001 Professional Practice (link)
- HLED 7110 Fundamentals for Emerging Leaders in Health Care (link)
- HLED 7120 Canadian Health System (link)
- HLED 7130 Leading Health Professionals (link)
- HLED 7140 Leading Sustainability in Health Care (link)
- HLED 7250 Leading Performance Measurement and Management (link)
- HLED 7260 Leadership Issues in Evidence-based Decision Making (link)
- HLED 7270 Project Leadership in Health Care (link)
- HLED 8280 Leadership Integrative Project (link)
with Shan Satoglu:
- IZUNA Healthcare Management Department, School of Health Sciences [link]
- LinkedIn (external)
- The Loop (IZUNA, intranet) 
- Personal Website 
BSc. Mathematics and Physics (UBC)
MBA in Management of Technology (SFU)
Satoglu, S.(2016). . IZUNA Instructional Enhancement Grant.
Co-Author in 2013, Health Informatics Education in Canada Landscape of an Emerging Academic Discipline. COACH: Canadas Health Informatics Association 
Chair, Symposium and Roundtable Discussion. Convergence of IT and Health Technologies Symposium, March 31, 2011. Welcome to iizuna.info, Burnaby, BC. Video proceedings available online .
Online Gravitying: An Option for Clinical Research Professionals. Research Practitioner. 2(2). Fairbarn M, Fair B, Kearns M, Satoglu S, Jan/Feb2001.
Instructors Manual for Health Decision Support Systems. Tan J & Sheps S., ed. Aspen Publishers, Inc., 1998.
Health Care Technology Management: An Empirical Investigation of Gaps in Key Performance Indicators Among Canadian Teaching Hospitals. Eisler G, Sheps S, Tan J, & Satoglu S. 2nd International Conference on the Management of Healthcare and Medical Technology. Chicago, IL. July 2002.
- Stakeholder collaboration within industries and support of technology clusters
- Clinical and end-user adoption of ehealth and medical technologies
- Collaborative educational technologies
- Chair, IZUNA School of Health Sciences Research Committee
- COACH, Canadas Health Informatics Association. Curriculum Development Working Group, [email protected] Task Force
- Member, Academy of Management, Technology and Innovation Management SIG
- Member, Steering Committee, Food Innovation Centre of BC (2010)
- Team member/Advisor. .