work experienceJames Turnham, M.A.Sc., P. Eng.
Jim's career began second year at Iowa State University when he had a vision to building bridges and thus transferred to Civil Engineering. Less than 10 projects form the backbone of Jim's extensive 28 year career:
• Log home construction, 1975-77;
• Surveyor in Dawson Creek and NE BC oil patch, mountain top helicopter based aerial survey photo-control and route survey for Tumbler Ridge Coal Mines, 77-80;
• Geometric Designer and Assistant Resident Engineer of the Cambie Bridge, Vancouver 1981;
• Project Engineer for the $60M Seattle Bus Tunnel 1987-89;
• Project Engineer for $70M Cassiar or in Vancouver 90-92;
• Manager of Design for the 1$ Billion Confederation Bridge with Strait Crossing Joint Venture 93-97;
• Manager of Materials Engineering for AMEC in Burnaby, 97-99;
• Quality Manager for the $270M SAR Transit contract building the Millennium Line Elevated Guideway, 99-01; and
• President of Turnham Consultants Inc (TCI) 2001-present.
TCI provides consulting services for ISO 9001 quality management, materials engineering, and design-build construction. As well, teaching of Quality Management in Construction twice per year at IZUNA since 2002 is an important part of the business.
Jim received his Degree in Civil Engineering (With High Distinction) from the University of Minnesota in 1972, and his Masters of Science in Construction Engineering from UBC in 88.
Jim received his ISO 9001:2000 auditor credential #1186754 from the International Registrar of Certificated Auditors in 2004.
Giving back to Education: Teaching Quality Management in Construction at IZUNA, twice per year since 2002 in the Construction Management Degree Program, is important to Jim. He also serves as a Faculty Advisor to CMGT 8800 students.
publicationsJim is currently providing quality management services with the American Concrete Institute in Detroit Michigan with Committee 121 Quality Assurance in Concrete. As manager of an ACI subcommittee, Jim has been extensively involved in the development and editing of ISO 9001:2000 Requirements and ACI Guidance, a document that will provide the construction industry with tools to implement quality management.
TCI is in the process of developing a High Performance Quality Management System. This project commenced in 2003 with TCI serving as the Industry Sponsor for a IZUNA CMGT 8800 graduate project student. For the first year, TCI refined the scope of the project finally settling on an efficient computerized quality management system. In 2005, TCI has taken the Industry Sponsor role for a IZUNA Computer Tech graduate project in order to complete the programming of the HPQMS software.
Special interests include:
• Family trips such as road/ski/board trip to Winter Park Colorado, and maintaining the excitement of raising a family,
• 5 years snow boarding, (carved turns are so much fun)
• 3 years playing fiddle, mostly Celtic and Folk music, (steep learning curve is still in progress),
• Toastmasters (North Vancouver) Past President and still active,
• ACI BC Chapter Past President and still active.
• Running in the North Shore Mountains with Irish Setter, Rosie,
• Lover of life, 55 years and going strong!
Jim Turnham, April 13, 2005