Information For Health Science Students
Please note that there is a temporary absence of nursing coverage due to unanticipated circumstances. If this matter is time-sensitive, please see your family doctor or contact Public Health.
As noted on the Immunization Review Form Instructions [PDF], the following vaccinations are required for health science students:
- Recent (within the past 10 years) Tetanus/Diphtheria
- An Adult booster of Poliomyelitis vaccine is required for all students entering clinical.
- 2 documented Measles Mumps Rubella vaccines (please be aware re-vaccination will occur if you only received 1 full dose of MMR or had MR only, as well as if you do not have any records).
- 2 documented Varicella vaccinations or a history of Childhood Chickenpox Disease is accepted as being immune.
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin test (must be within the 6 months prior to starting your clinical practicum).
- Documented series of Hepatitis B immunizations along with mandatory serology for Hepatitis B
- It is highly recommended that Medical Laboratory students are protected against Meningitis. Med Lab students should receive 2 doses of MenB (Bexsero) and 1 dose of ACYW-135 (Menveo or Menactra). These vaccinations are also suggested for all health workers.
** Serology is recommended if you are uncertain if you had the disease as a child, or if you do not have records. Serology may have to be repeated should the necessary markers not be included in your bloodwork, and can be drawn in our clinic during immunization reviews. SEROLOGY IS NOT ACCEPTED FOR MMR. **
*** PLEASE LET YOUR PHYSICIAN KNOW YOUR HEPATITIS B BLOOD WORK REQUISITION MUST INCLUDE: HepBsAb, HepBsAg, HepBcAb. ***
Good to Know:
It is not necessary to complete all of the vaccine requirements listed on the immunization review form on your own. We only require that the form and any records the student has are submitted prior to the deadline. The form does not have to be signed by a doctor and all vaccines are provided free during the immunization review appointment. However, we do charge for the immunization review. Detailed instructions and list of fees can be found on the second page of the immunization review form.
The TB skin test is not free and must be done within six months of entering clinical. The TB skin test is done during the review visit only if indicated. If a person has tested positive in the past, a chest X-Ray is recommended. Records of previous chest X-Rays can be used as long as the chest X-Ray is recent within 1-2 years of entering the program.
Further Help and Immunization Information:
Information regarding Meningitis and Vaccines:
- Health Link BC: Meningitis
- Meningococcal Vaccines
- Health Link BC: Immunizations for Health Care Workers
- Public Health Agency Canada Information for Immunization of Health Care Workers: Canadian Immunization Guide: Part 3 - Vaccination of Specific Populations
- Tuberculin Skin Testing Information [PDF]
- Useful App for Vaccination Record Management
Questions or Concerns? Contact the IZUNA Nurses
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your immunization records, review or vaccinations and serology required, please contact the nurses at Student Health Services.
- By Phone: 111-432-8843
- By Email: [email protected] (forms can be sent here, please call for all other inquiries.)
You may also stop by during clinic hours should you have any questions and like to speak to a nurse directly.
If you are a current health sciences student and have been in to see us for your immunization review, and still require immunizations or information please call us to book an appointment.