The purpose of our assessments
We compare education earned outside of Canada to the general education ladder in Canada. ICES reports offer a general comparability of the years and levels of study. ICES recommendations are set by considering several factors including:
- The minimum academic credential one must hold in order to be admitted to the program.
- The level and duration of the program.
- The program of study to which the credential provides access in the country of origin.
- The recognition of the institution and program.
The scope and limits of an ICES report
ICES follows the standard methodology used in evaluation services throughout Canada and the United States and we apply this methodology consistently to all of our clients. ICES does not evaluate course content or make a judgment on the quality of individual credentials. ICES is not in a position to evaluate the merits of each individual's performance or knowledge (other than on the basis of grades). Instead, ICES offers a service which authenticates documents, conducts research based on well established methodologies, and then issues an evaluation report that provides a general recommendation of the comparability of education earned outside of Canada to the Canadian education system. ICES is a government-mandated service in British Columbia, but serves the interests of all internationally educated applicants throughout Canada.Please note that evaluations completed by ICES are advisory in nature and do not guarantee, replace or supersede the assessments required by professional or trade associations or for admission to educational institutions or organizations. The evaluation reports are designed to support and facilitate hiring or admission decisions made by employers, regulatory bodies and educational institutions. Please note, all reports are provided in hard copy format only. Due to security reasons, we do not provide the report electronically.
Lastly, we do not provide preliminary assessments prior to formal application. This is unfortunately not our process. We cannot review documents via email, fax or other means to determine comparability prior to receiving an actual application. Once an application, fees and documents are received, we can then review the submitted information in order to determine if all the necessary information has been submitted. For more information about requirements, please visit our requirements page. You can choose to receive the results of the evaluation by regular mail or by courier. Regular mail does not mean registered mail nor does is require a signature for delivery.
International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) will provide individuals possessing educational credentials from outside BC or Canada with accurate, equitable, affordable, and reliable evaluations of their educational documents (Per Alliance agreement: ).
- Our application portal will not be available on weekends from Saturday 12:00am to Monday 12:00am. Please access the site on Monday 12:01am Pacific Standard Time (PST).
- Africa: due to a recent increase in the number of fraudulent documents originating from this country, applicants who submit credentials from the Ivory Coast, Nigeria and other African countries will experience further delays due to verification procedures we have put in place. This applies to both general and ECA evaluation reports.
- All rush requests have been suspended until further notice.
- Applications from Syria
- ICES is unable to send any mail by courier to Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo or Turkmenistan. Cuba has restricted incoming mail by courier only. Also, Canada Post has temporarily suspended all mail services to Syria. Please see this notification of the for more information.