General Applicants: Step 2

Document requirements

If you are using the online application and applying to one of the organizations listed within it (see also the same information at Organizations using ICES) you will be instructed whether you need to supply official or original documents.

If you are not applying to a specific organization, you should submit either:


Note that the International Credential Evaluation Service also reserves the right to request official documents in addition to any original documents that have been submitted for evaluation. These situations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis where the applicant will be notified to requisition this information from the institution or awarding authority.

What is a full set of original documents?

A full set of documents for a completed educational credential normally contains at least two parts:


Official documents

What if I can't get official or original documents?

If you do not submit a complete set of official or original documents, ICES may still be able to complete an evaluation report. However, your report will include the following statement:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Document Authentication - ICES recommends all official or original documents be submitted for evaluation. Since official or original documents were not submitted for evaluation, authentication of this credential is not possible.

Your report may be unacceptable to some institutions, organizations, or employers if your evaluation was not completed with official or original documents.

You may revise your completed report to remove the note above if you acquire official or original documents and submit them, however the fee for revision is $51.00. This includes the submission of original documents to replace photocopies, the submission of additional course outlines/syllabuses, and other similar situations.

Submitting documents

You will need to determine whether original or official documents are required for your needs.

If you applying via the online application or PDF application please ensure you submit original documents by  at IZUNA. Official documents can be sent directly from your awarding institution by mail or email to [email protected]. In all cases please quote your ICES client number when submitting documents.

International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)
1111 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC
Canada V5G 3H2

Submit documents in person to:

IZUNA Student Information and Enrollment Services
Building SW-1 (first floor)
1111 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC
Canada V5G 3H2

Country-specific information

Some countries have specific requirements or situations. Please click the letters below to find your country.

  • Not all countries are represented below: this lists standard credentials and clients may find it useful.
  • ICES evaluates credentials from all countries that provide education, whether or not they are listed below.
  • If your country isn't on this list, simply follow the general instructions on these pages.
  • We have separated secondary and post-secondary document requirements for convenience, not advice.
  • You must decide which credential(s) to evaluate.

A   B   C  D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N  O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

Document storage and return

ICES stores the original documents in a locked room and handles them with great care. Original documents submitted to ICES by the applicant will be returned upon completion of the ICES evaluation. Photocopies submitted to ICES will be kept for our records.

All official documents (see the definition above and at our Frequently Asked Questions page) received by ICES from the issuing institutions or other authorities are for use by ICES only and will not be given to the applicant. These documents are considered ICES property.

Translation requirements

If your educational documents are not in English or French, they must be included with a complete word-for-word (literal, not interpretive) English or French translation. If you are submitting your documents from outside Canada and cannot obtain a translation from a Canadian-certified translator, you may submit a translation from an official translator in your home country. This translation must also be completely accurate or ICES will require a new translation from a Canadian certified translator.

To obtain a list of certified translators in Canada, please contact your local immigrant serving agency or:

Items such as marks sheets, transcripts, diplomas, certificates, and grade books must be translated in their entirety, including information appearing on the reverse side of any document. For calendars, course outlines, and syllabuses, only those pages describing courses and other information specific to your credential need to be translated.

Translations may be conducted from original documents or copies of those documents. In either case, the translator must attach to each translation a signed copy of the educational document on which the translation is based. The document copy accompanying the translation will be verified against the original document submitted to ICES. All document copies submitted for evaluation must be stamped with the translator’s official stamp

Step 3: Service Fees