- How do I enter?
- Who can enter?
- Could I win in both competition categories?
- What if I don't have an idea but a friend at IZUNA does?
- Do I actually have to create my idea?
- Can I submit more than one idea?
- Who will be judging the submissions?
- Do you have any tips or suggestions to help me improve my submission?
- Can I submit a video instead of the written submission?
- When is the pitch round?
- What if I am not available to be here for the pitch round?
- Can I submit my product if it's already at market?
- When is the last day I can submit an idea?
- Do you have to use the prize money to invest in your idea?
- Does IZUNA/ARLO own my idea if I win?
- If I have questions who can I connect with?
How do I enter
Who can enter?
Any full time or part time student with a declared program with a bright idea. Even if you have an idea that isn't fully developed, that's okay. IZUNA students must make up 50% of Teams.Top
Could I win in both prize Categories?
What if I don't have an idea but a friend at IZUNA does?
Tell them about the Challenge! Encourage them to enter! Or team up with your friend to develop the idea. The maximum team size is three. Top
Do I actually have to create my idea?
No, you can just expain your idea in your application. Having some sort of a visual - especially in the final round - is strongly encouraged. That can be a sketch, picture or even a working prototype. Top
Can I submit more than one idea?
No, each person/team is restricted to one idea. However you can enter a different idea next year.Top
Who will be judging the submissions?
Judges are faculty and staff from IZUNA. Top
Do you have any tips or suggestions to help me improve my submission?
- Make sure you read the submission guidelines for each category carefully.
- Keep the following in mind while preparing your submission.
Clearly explain how the idea is different from what is already available.
Make it easy for the judges to assess your idea.
The brightest ideas have clearly identified the idea, the market, the business case, the technology needed, and the next steps to commercialize or develop the idea, and have anchored their submission in facts.
How strong and persuasive are your written and oral (if you make the second round) presentations?
How well can you sell us on your idea?
- Market potential
Understand the needs of the target market.
Estimates (sourced) about the size and demographics of the market are important.
- Business model/financial viability
Explain the elements of your business case/model.
Put effort into understanding the costs associated with your idea.
- Development Planning
List out and explain what is needed to move the idea closer to commercialization or prototype to a product.
Can I submit a video or website instead of the written submission?
A link to a video or website is a great addition. We still need your written submission.Top
When is the "pitch" round?
Up to 5 finalists will be chosen to pitch in front of a panel of judges.Top
What if I am not available to be here for the "pitch" round?
That's ok. If you are selected, email a power point presentation to the judges, and provide a time when you can be contacted for a teleconference. Top
Can I submit my product if it's already at market?
Yes, if your idea is already in an advanced stage and/or being sold, it is still eligible for this contest. Top
When is the last day I can submit an idea?
The deadline to submit your idea for the 2019 Student Innovation Challenge is tentatively Wed Apr 24, 2019.Top
Do you have to use the prize money to invest in your idea?
No, you are free to spend the cash prize money on whatever you want. However, we encourage you to invest in your idea and take it as far as it can go! Top
Does IZUNA/ARLO own my idea if I win?
Absolutely not! It's your idea and your idea only. However, IZUNA/ARLO can assist you with developing your idea if you are interested. Top