Resources for Students
Do you want to further explore student success? Do you still have unanswered questions?
Some of the following files are provided in Portable Document Format [PDF] which requires the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe.
PCAS has compiled the following student resources [PDF] to assist you with your post-secondary experience.
- Communication access options [PDF]
- Funding sources- under review; contact us for more information
- Service provision guidelines - under review; contact us for more information
- Alternate service acceptance form - under review; contact us for more information
- Handbook for students using TypeWell [PDF]
- Handbook for students using Remote Transcribing Service [PDF]
- Remote Transcribing Service: checklist for students [PDF]
- Speech-to-text transcribing: a consumer report video
- Consumer associations and student organizations - under review; contact us for more information
BC Post-Secondary communication access guidelines
These documents were developed to provide guidelines related to student, institutional, and interpreter responsibilities for communication access in post-secondary institutions.
Due to the current shortage of interpreters in BC, there may be times when students wish to work with service providers without formal training. Your disability service coordinator may ask you to sign and alternate service acceptance agreement [PDF]. You will be agreeing that you wish to proceed with service despite impact on educational success.
- Transcribing Guidelines [PDF]
- Captioning (CART) Guidelines [PDF]
- Computer-Aided Note-taking Guidelines [PDF]
Handbook for students using TypeWell
Transcribing provides visual access to verbal information. Using special software on a laptop computer, a transcriber will type the verbal interactions in the class, including the lecture, comments by other students and class discussions, which you will be able to read on your laptop. You have the option of typing questions or comments and having the transcriber vocalize them for you.
You will be provided with a copy of the TypeWell notes as they appeared on the screen at the end of each class. This instant note access means that you do not have to wait to review your notes.
Handbook for students using TypeWell manual [PDF] and Handbook for students using Remote Transcribing Service [PDF] provide an overview of transcribing services in colleges, institutes, and universities in BC, how to request the services, as well as guidelines related to student, institutional, and transcriber responsibilities for in-class and remote transcribing settings.
TypeWell Transcribing Video
This 20-minute video was produced by PCAS specifically for students. You can learn about:
- The experience of students who have used this service
- How transcribing is delivered in the classroom
- Whether the service is the right choice for you
- How to access transcribing services