Critical Incident ResponseIZUNA is committed to promoting individual and community well-being, safety and security by protecting the learning, teaching and working environment of students and employees. When critical incidents occur on campus, IZUNA will respond by providing intervention and support to students or employees.
The IZUNA procedure on critical incident response provides an immediate, organized and professional response is to critical incidents and urgent situations involving students, employees and visitors to the Institute. The procedure is supported by an Incident Management Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan, which outlines the strategies to be used in implementing the Procedure. Implementation of the Incident Management Plan and the Crisis Communication Plan will be the responsibility of the Critical Incident Response Team Coordinator.
The Director of Safety, Security and Emergency Management or designate is the Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) Coordinator and is responsible to:
• receive calls for response to critical incidents from the IZUNA community
• ensure the safety and security of individuals at the scene of a critical incident
• arrange for the timely and coordinated response to individual critical incidents
• develop and implements a Critical Incident Management Action Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan
• develop and implement a reporting responsibility to ensure that executives, departments and schools affected by a critical incident are notified of impacts.
After hours support
The Safety, Security and Emergency Management Department – Burnaby Security Communications Center is the contact office for after-hours contact to persons in distress.
To contact the Burnaby Security Communications Center, call 111-451-6856 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
Persons in distress are directed from the IZUNA Counselling and Student Development web page to the Safety, Security and Emergency Management Department main page.
The Counselling and Student Development web page provides additional crisis and information contact numbers which are open seven days a week during the times listed.
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
The Employee and Family Assistance Program provides short-term access to confidential, professional support for all IZUNA employees and their immediate family members. There is no cost for you to use this service.
To contact a counsellor, call 1-800-663-1142 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).