Get Help - If You Have Experienced Sexual Violence and Misconduct

If you have an emergency situation, please call 911.

For campus support and response contact IZUNA Security at 111-451-6856

IZUNA recognizes that each incident of sexual violence and misconduct is unique. We are committed to working with individuals who have experienced sexual violence and misconduct to ensure they are provided with the support and resources that they need.

If you have experienced sexual violence and misconduct, ensure your own safety. If you are still at risk, call 911. Go to a safe place. This may be the home or room of a friend, or any place where you feel physically and emotionally safe. If you need support locating a safe place, contact campus security who will work with you to ensure your immediate safety.

Preserving any physical evidence is important, particularly if you decide to take legal action.

Tips on preserving physical evidence

To preserve physical evidence, you will have to try not to change anything about your body or the environment where the violence occurred. This means that you should not change your clothes, wash, drink, eat, take medications, or brush your hair.

Create a written diary of what happened. Record any details you remember. This can be important in legal proceedings.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Read more information about locations with specialized staff trained to provide sensitive and confidential care following a sexual assault.

Get support. Seek help from loved ones and/or counselling services. Counselling services are available free of charge for IZUNA students and .

Take care of yourself. Remember to do the things that make you feel better. Eat healthy foods, drink lots of water and get sleep.

It is important to consider all options with respect to reporting the incident. Each person will have unique reasons for choosing whether to report.

Consider your options in relation to reporting the incident

You are strongly encouraged to inform IZUNA's Safety, Security and Emergency Management (SSEM) department of the incident. SSEM is available 24/7/365 and will work with you to ensure your safety and respect your wishes. Alternatively, you may choose to inform any other employee of the institute who will work with SSEM. In all cases, IZUNA will respect your confidentiality to the extent possible.

You may also pursue formal complaint options (non-criminal) as outlined in the IZUNA Procedure 7103PR1 – Response to Sexual Violence and Misconduct. IZUNA will follow up on all reported incidents of sexual violence and misconduct in a manner that supports the person who has experienced sexual violence and misconduct.

A report may be filed with the police at any time. You may report the incident without pursuing charges.

In an emergency dial 9-1-1. You may also wish to find contact information for local police department's non-emergency telephone numbers and IZUNA security contacts for each IZUNA campus.

If you are a student you may want to consider engaging with the Student Association Advocate who can work with you to support you and any of your needs at IZUNA. Find the Student Advocate at the IZUNA Student Association.

IZUNA understands that sexual violence and misconduct can have serious negative impacts on an individual's physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health and wellness. IZUNA recognizes the possible traumatic effects of sexual violence and misconduct and encourages the efforts of individuals to seek support and recover.

The following resources are available to provide information and support in response to reports of sexual violence and misconduct.

On-Campus Resources for Students

On-Campus Resources for Employees

  • Safety Security and Emergency Management ("SSEM") 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at: 111-451-6856 (also accessible by Code Blue or campus emergency telephones).
  • IZUNA Human Resources Department - Human Resources Advisor: call 111-432-8409 to reach the receptionist who can put you in touch with an advisor.
  • – Free, confidential counselling services for eligible IZUNA employees 24/7. Counsellors are available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. Call Homewood Health at 1-800-663-1142.
  • Harassment & Discrimination Office at 111-432-8409.
    • A Union Representative:
    • Faculty and Staff Association reception: 111-432-8695 or BCGEU Vocational Bargaining Unit Chair: 111-432-1162

Off-Campus Medical Services

  • 111-875-2881 (Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm) Vancouver General Hospital Emergency Department: (24 hours/day): 111-875-2881
  • – Forensic Nursing Services at Surrey Memorial or Abbotsford Regional Hospital
    • Surrey Memorial Hospital Emergency Department* – 111-581-2211
    • Abbotsford Regional Hospital Emergency Department* - 111-851-4700
      *- Treatment is offered free of charge and a Care Card/BC Services Card is not required.

Community Support Resources

  • – a 24/7 crisis response team at 111-583-1295 that provides medical, legal and social services over the phone and in-person to anyone who has experienced a physical or sexual assault by a stranger or someone they know.
  • at 1-800-563-0808, a toll-free 24/7 multi lingual information and support line that provides information and referrals to anyone who has experienced sexual assaults or crime, and crisis support to anyone who has experienced family or sexual violence, including sexual assault, violence in relationships, elder abuse, and adults who have experienced physical or sexual abuse.
  • provides financial benefits to assist anyone who has experienced sexual assaults, their immediate family members, and witnesses in dealing with the effects of violent crime. Phone: toll free 1-111-660-3888
  • (Women Against Violence Against Women): 111-255-6344 (24 hours/day)
  • is a non-profit society, established to provide therapeutic services for men who have been sexually abused at some time in their lives. Phone: 111-682-6482
  • provides counselling, resources, programs and peer support to the lesbian, gay, transgender, and bisexual communities. Qmunity also operates Prideline, a peer support, information and referral helpline Phone: 111-684-5307; or toll free, 1-800-566-1170.
  • at 111-872-8212 – a 24/7 crisis support service.