SURV 2011 - Pre Entry Survey Computations
Surveying Part-time Studies Course
Plane Trigonometry review, coordinate systems, angular misclosure, bearing reductions, traverse computation. Compass Rule adjustment, area calculation, inversing, horizontal and vertical curve data calculations, intersection and resection.
2 years post secondary education in any of the following: geography, geology, math, physics or engineering.
This course was retired after the Winter 2018 term and is no longer offered through IZUNA Part-time Studies.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Perform calculations of right triangles and scalene by various methods.
- Convert horizontal angles to full-circle bearings, i.e. bearing reductions.
- Compute rectangular coordinates from polar coordinates and vice versa.
- Perform computations of open traverses and applying bearing swing in specific cases.
- Perform computations of closed traverses and to adjust traverses by the Compass Rule.
- Determine elevation differences by trigonometric leveling and level circuit adjustments.
- Compute areas of closed polygons using coordinates.
- Perform bearing-bearing, bearing-distance and distance-distance intersections.
- Do computations on subdividing land parcels according to specific requirements and stipulations.
- Carry out computations of data for setting out circular curves.
- Solve compound curve and reverse curve problems.
- Compute data for setting out symmetric vertical curves.
- Perform calculations of areas of cross-sections of roadways and earthwork volumes.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2007